As hospitalizations due to COVID-19 continue to rise, Valley Children’s Hospital has made a creative offer: It will accept pediatric patients from area hospitals to make way for adults suffering from COVID-19. This COVID update for the week of July 13-17 features excerpts from a conversation with David Christensen, Chief Physician Executive of Valley Children’s Hospital. We also discuss the deployment of military medical personnel to the area, with Kaweah Delta Healthcare District CEO Gary Herbst, as well as new data accounting methods in Fresno County and Governor Gavin Newsom’s changes to statewide COVID-19 testing strategies.
A quick snapshot for Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, and Tulare Counties (note that some numbers may have changed between the interview and publication):
- As of July 16: 434 deaths out of 29,785 cases; 787 people hospitalized and 145 in ICUs.
- As of July 9: 384 deaths out of 24,661 cases; 650 people hospitalized and 128 in ICUs.
- In the last week, 50 people in our coverage area succumbed to the disease. In the week before, the total was 45.
- Average cases reported daily in the last week: 732.
- You can always find up-to-date information for your county here.