KVPR Transmitter Replacement
KVPR's current transmitters in Fresno and Bakersfield are nearing the end of their operational lifespans. These critical units are now 17 years old, in some cases, new replacement parts are no longer available. In order to fund the replacement of these transmitters, and other critical technology upgrades at our transmitter sites and broadcast center, KVPR has launched a special project fundraising campaign with a goal of $202,000. As of August 24th, 2023, the station officially met and exceeded that goal, and this project is fully funded.
Current Total Collected: $102,685
Total Pledges: $208,302
(as of August 24, 2023)
The station’s current transmitters were purchased in 2006. At the time they were state-of-the-art, but technology has improved in dramatic ways in the last 17 years. Just like the Windows XP PC you may have used in the mid-2000s, technology has come a long way in broadcasting. Our 2006 transmitters were the first generation of HD Radio transmitters. Today's transmitters are based on Generation 4 technology with major improvements in key areas.
These proposed new transmitters are more reliable, vastly more energy efficient and have new capabilities. The replacement of our Bakersfield transmitter would allow us for the first time to bring our KVPR Classical service to the airwaves of Kern County, offering 24/7 classical music on FM 89.1 HD-2. In the Fresno/Clovis area, a new transmitter would more than double the KVPR Classical signal strength on 89.3 HD-2, increasing the broadcast area and reliability of the KVPR Classical signal.
Fundraising Campaign Highlights & Benefits:
- Replace existing transmitters & related equipment in Bakersfield and Fresno (17-35 years old)
- Bring KVPR Classical programming to Bakersfield-area airwaves via 89.1 HD-2
- Better reception for KVPR Classical in Fresno/Clovis area via 89.3 HD-2
- Improved reliability & energy efficiency
Total Campaign Costs: $202,000
- Fresno-area transmitter & associated equipment: $40,000
- Bakersfield-area transmitter & associated equipment: $82,000
- Broadcast Center equipment: $65,000
- Installation & Engineering: $15,000
For information about how you can help this project, please contact KVPR General Manager Joe Moore at 559-862-2481 or firstname.lastname@example.org