This Pediatrician’s Kids Got The Vaccine, And She Says Yours Should Too – COVID-19 Update For May 21
As of earlier this month,127 kids aged 12 to 17 years old had died of COVID-19 in the United States. The number may pale in comparison to the more than half a million adults who’ve died so far, but because deaths among kids are so rare, the total is still high enough to rank COVID-19 among the leading causes of death among that age group.
Death, however, isn’t the only negative COVID outcome in young people:More than 3,700 kids and teenagers have been diagnosed with Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C), a mysterious but serious inflammatory disease that can land children in the hospital weeks after they appear to have recovered from COVID infection.
For these reasons and many others, the American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended that all children receive the COVID vaccine as soon as they’re eligible—including adolescents 12 years and older, who have now been eligible for a week.
This week’s COVID update explores the implications of the COVID vaccine for kids, including effectiveness, side effects and the risks of being unvaccinated, featuring Dr. Anne VanGarsse, a pediatrician and Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs at California Health Sciences University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine in Clovis.
Meanwhile, here’s a snapshot for Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, and Tulare Counties (note that some numbers may have changed between the interview and publication):
As of May 20:
- 4,883 total deaths out of 333,713 total cases
- 154 people hospitalized and 24 in ICUs
- 26 deaths reported in the last week
- 156 average cases reported daily in last week
- 1,880,620 vaccine doses administered to date
As of 1 week previous, May 13:
- 4,857 total deaths out of 332,612 total cases
- 166 people hospitalized and 29 in ICUs
- 20 deaths reported in the last week
- 159 average cases reported daily in last week
- 1,789,874 vaccine doses administered to date
As of 4 weeks previous, April 22:
- 4,781 total deaths out of 329,380 total cases
- 196 people hospitalized and 35 in ICUs
- 50 deaths reported in the last week
- 189 average cases reported daily in last week
- 1,549,044 vaccine doses administered to date
You can always find up-to-date information for your county here.